Include the whole family to create this summer dessert!
Rhubarb and strawberries
This recipes takes a bit of effort, but the pay off is a priceless family memory and a huge sweet grin.
BASIC PIE CRUST: (makes 2 crusts: freeze one for later use)
2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon Sugar
2 sticks cold unsalted butter, cut into ½” cubes
¼ cup ice water (more if needed)
- In a food processor, pulse the flour, butter, salt and sugar until it resembles cornmeal, with random chunks of butter. Transfer to a bowl and add about ¼ cup ice water and mix with your hands. It should look crumbly and not wet, but if you press it together, it should hold. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 40 minutes.
- On a floured work surface roll the dough out into a circle. Place carefully into your 9-inch pie pan. Trim the edges with scissors. Use your fingers to create a decorative edge. Keep in refrigerator until filling is ready…
¾ cup Sugar
⅓ cup all-purpose flour
¼ cup butter, cold and diced
¼ teaspoon salt
- Process until very crumbly. Set aside.
1½ cup rhubarb, sliced into ½” pieces
2 ½ cup ripe strawberries, quartered
¼-½ cup sugar (depending on the sweetness of your fruit)
zest and juice of 1 orange
- Mix together and set aside.
ASSEMBLE THE PIE:
- Put half of the crumb mixture on the bottom of the pie crust.
- Put all the fruit on top of the crumb mixture. Top with remaining crumb mixture.
- Whisk together 1 egg and 3 teaspoons water. Pour over the pie.
- Bake at 400 until juices are bubbly and crust is golden. (40-50 minutes)
- Serve warm or at room temperature with whipped cream.
- This pie is fabulous when made with ripe summer peaches. I also use any combination of fruits—nectarine & blueberry, peach & raspberry etc….