The National Sporting Library & Museum (NSLM) is partnering with the Land Trust of Virginia to hold an exclusive outdoor painting workshop with artist C.D. Clarke. Up to 14 participants will paint alongside international sportsman and artist C.D. Clarke on a private location near Leesburg, Virginia. Clarke travels the world in search of artistic inspiration and sporting adventure. His work was featured in a 2014 solo exhibition at NSLM, and now he returns to Middleburg to share painting advice and plein air tips with the public. Painting en plein air with C.D. Clarke will take place on April 16, 2016 from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., bag lunch provided with registration.
Tickets are $80.00 for NSLM members, $100.00 for the public. Space is Limited! Register online at www.nationalsporting.org.
About the Artist: While fly fishing or wingshooting, Clarke is often armed with a paint box as well; to him the accoutrements are interchangeable. If a composition presents itself, he produces a field study, in either watercolor or oil, on the spot. His works, sometimes commissioned and other times inspired, are grounded in experience; they mark the impression of a particular time and place. His thirty-year sporting art career began in 1986 when his submission, a still-life in watercolor of a black duck, aptly titled, The Limit for Now, was selected for publication in Gray’s Sporting Journal. Since then, Clarke’s work has been chosen for illustration in the noted field sport magazine several times a year, including assignments to accompany sporting writers Terry Wieland and James Babb to paint scenes for their articles. Clarke’s work was chosen for a 2014 solo exhibition at NSLM entitled “A Sportsman en plein air: C.D. Clarke”.
About the Location: Located in Loudoun County, Forest Mills Farm sits along and up the hill from the Crooked Run, a tributary of Goose Creek. The cornerstone of the spring house on this farm is dated 1787, one of the oldest structures near Lincoln, Virginia, a town settled by Quakers in the early 18th century. The workshop will take place by the log cabin, on the banks of the creek. This cabin, the oldest structure on the farm, was built by the Janney family when the original grist and sawmill was constructed circa 1740.