BILLABONG PRESENTS THE COASTAL EDGE STEEL PIER CLASSIC
& VB Surf Art Expo
Family-oriented event kicks off the summer surfing season in Virginia Beach
(VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. – April 25, 2015) – Billabong presents the 2015 Coastal Edge Steel Pier Classic & Surf Art Expo this Memorial Day Weekend, May 23-25 between 2nd and 7th Streets at the Virginia Beach Oceanfront, according to the Virginia Longboard Federation (VLF), the producers and organizers of the Steel Pier Classic (SPC).
Both the professional Men's Shortboard and Longboard Single Fin contests will offer cash purses of $5000. The TowneBank Women's Logger event will offer a minimum of $1,500 cash purse. This year there will be a minimum $1000 cash prize for the winner of the single fin Pro Noseriding event.
“For 12 years, surfers and fans have come to expect the high caliber competition, unsurpassed judging and unique community spirit at this event,” said Mary Knight, president of the Virginia Longboard Federation (VLF). “From year one, we were committed to those principles and after more than a decade, it’s still what the Steel Pier Classic represents.”
As Coastal Edge celebrates its 25th year in business, it gives us great pleasure giving back wonderful experiences such as the Coastal Edge Steel Pier Classic & Surf Art Expo presented by Billabong as the kick-off to the summer surf season in Virginia Beach,” said D. Nachnani, president of local action sports retailer Coastal Edge. “Our local community, competitors and returning visitors know that this event drips salt water.”
“This year is no different as we’ll have a host of all-star cast of personalities attending,” said Ken Hunt, mid-Atlantic sales representative for Billabong/RVCA/VZ brands. Billabong team riders Shane Dorian, Greg Long, Keala Kennelly will be highlighting the weekend as well as, Element California skateboard icon Greyson Fletcher will even be onsite during the weekend. Josh Harmony will be doing double duty as he’s a RCVA skateboarder and a musician who will be performing at 9 p.m. Saturday night with Cheap Thrills at The Attic at Waterman’s, 415 Atlantic Ave. “The overall event be unmatched by any East Coast action sports experience this year.”
More than 400 amateur and professional surfers from all over the United States are expected to compete in this three-day surfing contest. Pro division surfers in Men’s and Women’s longboard and Men’s shortboard will compete for various prize purses.
“For 12 years, VLF volunteers, surfers and their families and friends have celebrated the roots of surfing through art and sport,” Knight said. Once again, partners Coastal Edge and Billabong continue to be strong supporters of this Memorial Day tradition.” Other key sponsors this year include clothing manufacturer RVCA, and sunglass brand VonZipper (VZ).
The Coastal Edge Steel Pier Classic & Surf Art Expo is free and open to the community. There will be works of art, food, refreshments and T-shirts for sale to the public. No admission fee for spectators; contestant fees for each surf division entered (surfing entry deadlines: May 20, 5 p.m.) Contestants can register at http://www.virginialongboardfederation.com/ or find Surfing contest entry forms at Coastal Edge, 316 21st Street and Arctic Avenue, Virginia Beach.
Details for this year’s Steel Pier Classic weekend
Dates: Saturday, May 23 through Monday, May 25, 2015
Times: Vendors/Surfing starts at 7 a.m.; Art show activities begin at 10 a.m. Activities continue until 6 p.m. Saturday and Sunday; Monday, until 5 p.m.
Location: All events take place between 2nd – 7th Sts. at the Oceanfront
• Luau at Coastal Edge – This kicks off the Classic weekend. There will be food, drink and live music. Friday, May 23, 4-7 p.m. 5K & 8K participants can pick up their race packets at this event.
• Appearances and Autograph Sessions: Scheduled to appear to date: RVCA’s California skateboard king, Greyson Fletcher and Billabong team riders: Shane Dorian, Greg Long and Keala Kennelly, star of the film “Blue Crush.” Saturday, May 23, 1:30 p.m.
• Free Heat Press: VZ Hats, Billabong Tees in their respective tents: May 23, 1:30 p.m.
• Tandem Surfing: This returning amateur event is continued crowd favorite - Days/Times TBA.
• Billabong Tow-at: (watercraft-assisted big air wave jumps) "Battle Royale" schedule TBA both will be signing autographs at the main surfing area.
• SUP: A growing sport, Stand-up Paddle Surf competition and SUP race – 2.5 and 5 mile courses; schedule TBA
• Hawaiian Dancers: Copeland Mills School of the Arts performs traditional dances Sunday, May 24 at 1:30 p.m., in front of the surf contest scaffolding
• 5K and 10K Runs –Starting time 8 a.m. at Boardwalk, Sunday, May, 24 – race packets can be picked up Friday, May 22 at the Luau at Coastal Edge.
• Billabong GromFest –Saturday, May 23, 11 a.m. sharp. Special under 12 years surfer division (free entry, but limited to the first 125 entries; every participant will receive a free Billabong Lycra jersey). The social media site for kids, run by kids social media platform GromSocial RV will be coming up from Florida to spread the safe interactive word at the GromFest.
• RVCA Student Art Show on the Beach – May 23 – 25 . RVCA know for combining art, music and fashion presents this show. Featuring close to 2,000 pieces of surf-themed artwork from all Virginia Beach high schools. 1st – 6th prize will be awarded: $500; iPad; bike; skateboard and Coastal Edge gift card, respectively. Each Virginia Beach high school enters a team to design a blank pair of Vans shoes;New this year, Element Skateboards have provided a blank skateboard deck to be designed and showcased at the art show.
• Hawaiian-style Paddle Out – scheduled for Noon on Memorial Day, Monday, May 25. This traditional paddle out ceremony is held annually at the SPC honors fallen U.S. armed forces from the ongoing military operations in Iraq, Afghanistan and elsewhere. Prayer will be led by Father Rob Cole of St. John the Apostle Catholic Church.
Virginia Beach Surf Art Expo — In 2008, a surf art component was added to the Steel Pier Classic and the event officially became known as the Steel Pier Classic & Surf Art Expo. Now in its eighth year, this one of kind surf art show produced by local sponsorship agency Sponsorships Unlimited features the creations of professional artists like Matt Haddaway, Heather Bautista, Ed Obermeyer, Patricia DeHart, Reba McConnell along the boardwalk near the First Street Jetty at the Oceanfront.
RVCA Student Art Show on the beach, an art show showcasing the creative works of students in every Virginia Beach high school is now twice as large as in past years. Corporate sponsors are supporting the student art show component.
The Virginia Longboard Federation is a nonprofit 501c3 organization. Proceeds from this annual event will support the local charities.
# # #
Connect to www.steelpierclassic.com for more information, entry forms, and a schedule of events.
Visit Coastal Edge at their beach superstore, 316 21st Street and Arctic Avenue, Virginia Beach, or connect at http://www.coastaledge.com.
For the Surf Art Expo, go to www.vbsurfartexpo.com or contact Sponsorships Unlimited at 757-222-2355. The Surf Art Expo takes place on the boardwalk during the surf competition and is all about the surf, the ocean, and the beach. Surf artists and artisans are featured in all mediums, such as painting, sculpture, metalwork, jewelry, photography, furniture, woodwork and custom surfboard and skateboard designs.