Everybody knows that Floyd likes to party. Everybody knows that Floyd likes to dance. And almost everybody knows that Floyd’s Mardi Gras provides the best opportunity to do both.
Now in its third year, this FUNdraiser for Blue Mountain School has presented some of the region’s finest talent. And this event promises to be the best year yet, with a five-piece all-star band featuring Kerry Hurley (vocals), Janiah Allen (drums), Chris Blankenship (guitar), Christophe Mondot (keyboard) and Jake Dempsey (bass), plus a host of special guests, and two opening bands loaded with Blue Mountain School alumni: Spoon Fight and Attakk.
Let’s have a look at the main act:
• Kerry Hurley is the front man for the Fat Daddy Blues Band and the Lenny Marcus New Orleans jazz quartet, president and founder of the Blue Ridge Blues Society, and presenter of Blues With A Feeling on The Music Place;
• Janiah Allen is the centerpiece of reggae-fusion outfit Alliens;
• Chris Blankenship is constantly in demand as one of the region’s most talented guitarists;
• Direct from France, via New York City, Christophe Mondot is a keyboardist extraordinaire who is already helping to take the local music scene to a new level; and
• Jake Dempsey, veteran of all three Floyd Mardi Gras Balls, has been a key feature of the local music scene for as long as most of us can remember.
If that was all, it would already be a great night, but the treats keep on coming. Natasha Shishkevish is putting on some authentic New Orleans cuisine, while Dogtown Roadhouse are doing what they do best: highly acclaimed wood fired pizza and tasty boutique beers.
And you can leave the event with much more than a smile on your face, when you win something at the auction, which features some of the very best goods, arts, crafts and services that Floyd has to offer.
There are also prizes, beads galore, and the annual crowning of Floyd’s Mardi Gras King and Queen—with unique crowns designed by Gabriele Hilger—to look forward to.
There are four ticketing options:
• Barons & Baronnes (standing room): $8 advance / $10 at door
• Ducs & Duchesses (reserved seating): $20
• Archiducs & Archiduchesses (reserved seating at raised table, with complimentary bottle of champagne and dinner included): $320 for table of 8
• Grand Ducs & Grande Duchesses (reserved seating at raised table, with two complimentary bottles of champagne and dinner included): $360 for table of 8
Tickets are available at Dogtown Roadhouse, Republic of Floyd, Blue Mountain School, and online via http://www.sunmusichall.com.